Friday 23 November 2012

Brutalism


I’ve been researching architecture for my Final Major Project at uni. I have been looking at tower blocks, flats and oppressive buildings and I came across Brutalist architecture.
Brutalism is a type of architecture that came out of the modernist movement, this specific type prevailed between the 1950's - 1970-s.  It's hard to see past the dull concrete, blockish appearance, but when you do these buildings are quite impressive. Here are some examples... 
Brunel Uni,  London (above) features in A Clockwork Orange – which happens to be the subject of my dissertation. This location as well as the second below are included in the Top 10 Brutalist attractions in London. 



Alexandra Road Estate



Habitat 67/Habitat is a housing complex in Canada.  


No comments:

Post a Comment